The very best time to obtain a work permit and long-term residency permit is after arriving in Hungary, for several reasons:
- Applying through one of the Hungarian embassies in the US, UK or Canada can be a very slow process
- When applying for a work permit or long-term residency permit you are required to show proof of employment. It would be difficult to show that proof of employment if you are not in the country
- Your employer will help you obtain both permits (in most of the cases)
- Three passport-size photos
- A valid passport
- A photocopy of your passport
- A photocopy of your birth certificate
- An application form (available at the Labor office in Budapest)
- An application for police record (available at the local police department). This must be notarized by a Notary Public
As in most Eastern European countries, local papers are the best source of job offers.
It is recommended to find a job before you get to Hungary, but sometimes this is just not possible. You can also find a job while in the country, browsing through job postings in local newspapers, or through the Internet (take a look at the websites listed on the right column of this page).
Positions in Hungary are the easiest to find among all of the Eastern European countries.
> USEFUL LINKS
HUNGARY NETWORK: www.hungary.com
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS: www.mfa.gov.hu
> LOCAL PAPERS
BUDAPEST SUN: www.budapestsun.com
BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL: www.bbj.hu
MAGYAR HÍRLAP: www.magyarhirlap.hu
HUNGARIAN NEWS AGENCY: www.mti.hu
> FOR MORE INFORMATION
ITALIAN EMBASSY (HUNGARY)
1143 Budapest, Stefánia út 95
Tel: +361 343 6065
Fax: +361 343 6058
EMBASSY OF HUNGARY (ITALY)
Via dei Villini 12-16.
00161 Rome - Italy
Tel: +39 06 442 3059
Fax: +39 06 440 3270